Assistant Curator of Education for Docent Training and Guidance
Job Title: Assistant Curator of Education for Docent Training and Guidance
Reports to: Curator of Education
Primarily responsible for training and providing guidance on tour content and methods for the Modern’s volunteer docents. The position requires close collaboration with the Docent and Tour Coordinator in developing and maintaining strong relationships between the Museum and its docent community.
The person in this position must be knowledgeable and passionate about art, past and present. They work with docents to build and maintain a strong knowledge of art history and contemporary art theories, international artistic developments, the permanent collection, and special exhibitions, as well as the local art community. Docent recruitment is an important aspect of the position, with an eye toward diversity to appropriately reflect the community that the Museum serves.
This individual must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends as duties require.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Recruit, train, and assess a docent corps of 70+ volunteers and 5+ visitor services staff, in collaboration with the Docent and Tour Coordinator.
- Schedule, plan, and lead trainings, orientations, and continuing education courses for docents related to current special exhibitions, the permanent collection, art history, and architecture.
- Create additional innovative docent training opportunities as needs and opportunities arise.
- Evaluate docent tours and provide regular, appropriate, and constructive feedback to docents, according to the needs of individual docents and the program as a whole.
- Organize docent trips and outings to art destinations locally and across the country.
- Work with the Docent and Tour Coordinator to organize and supervise regularly scheduled tours and docent-guided education programs.
- Ensure docents understand their importance to the Modern community and feel well-supported and utilized.
- Participate in off-site events and tours as needed.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as needs and opportunities arise.
- Develop and monitor budget for docent programs and activities.
- Write education materials pertaining to tours and other docent programming and participate in developing material for online educational content.
- Coordinate with the Docent and Tour Coordinator to provide the Development Department with program information and evaluation.
- Aid in the development of the Modern’s collection and education websites as necessary.
- Update program information regularly for promotional purposes.
- Oversee interns, when applicable.
- Master of Fine Arts degree in Art Studio or Art History.
- Demonstrated experience teaching adults about modern and contemporary art, especially teaching from works of art in a museum setting.
- 3+ years of experience working with and overseeing the performance of a team of individuals of diverse backgrounds and talents.
- Confident, articulate, and professional speaking ability demonstrating expertise and enthusiasm.
- Comfortable with basic computer applications using both PC and IOS platforms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Working at a desk and utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Periodic standing, walking, bending, climbing, and stooping, and the ability to lift 20 pounds.
- Good hearing and vision.
- Good eye/hand coordination
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other reason.
Please fill out the online application and attach a resume and cover letter that addresses how you meet the qualifications for the Assistant Curator of Education for Docent Training and Guidance position. Only qualified candidates will be considered.