REPORTS TO: Chief Curator
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Curator serves as a partner to the Curatorial team, Modern staff, and Board of Trustees. With a focus on special exhibitions and the permanent collection, the Curator is expected to publish appropriate supporting written materials and be a spokesperson for exhibitions generated for or hosted by the Museum. The curator should maintain a local, national, and international profile through relationships with artists, galleries, and colleagues; involvement in projects, lectures, talks, and tours; and outreach through travel and partnerships is also key to this role.
Duties—Acquisitions, Exhibitions, Administrative, and General Performance:
- Identify works for possible acquisition for the museum’s collection; negotiate financial terms of acquisitions when directed by Chief Curator
- Develop special exhibition ideas individually and with colleagues inside and outside the Museum and manage all aspects of presentation and publication.
- Serve as Curator-in-Charge for selected traveling exhibitions hosted by the Modern.
- Collaborate with other departments to create programming for exhibitions and to aid in outreach and fundraising opportunities
- Cultivate relationships with the broader cultural community in Fort Worth and with donors and future donors
- Help the Modern develop increasingly equitable practices in infrastructure, programs, and external relations
- Collaborate with other departments for input and counsel on decisions affecting the Modern’s annual and long-term operating plans, including strategic goals
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Curator or Director
- Minimum MA in Art History
- Minimum five years of experience in a modern/contemporary art curatorial position
- Significant record of exhibitions and publications in the field
- Exceptional communication, research and organizational skills
- A talent for collaboration and project management
- Self-motivated and self-directed, with the ability to prioritize and stay on task
- Ability to handle all Museum matters with maturity, honesty, tactfulness, and discretion
- International perspective
- Ability to travel
- Knowledge of/experience with modern and contemporary artists of Asia, Europe, and/or Africa a plus
Competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
To apply: Please submit resume information to our online application here.
Resumes may also be sent to Angela Tucker, Director of Human Resources, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, 3200 Darnell Street, Fort Worth, TX 76107.