Position Title: Editor
Reports to: Chief Curator
The editor supports nearly all departments at the Modern by reviewing key materials to be seen by the public, closely reading each text for accuracy, appropriate tone, and institutional voice. The editor also plays a significant role in the publication of curatorial texts, including essays and exhibition catalogues.
Day-to-day duties include:
• Maintaining style guides for the Museum
• Editing object tombstone labels, extended object labels, and gallery panels for special exhibitions and permanent collection installations
• Editing press releases, social media posts, rack cards, signage, and the website
• Editing membership communications and development materials
• Editing materials for the education department
• Overseeing translation of texts into additional languages
The editor also organizes Museum publications, with duties including but not limited to:
• Copyediting all text elements and working with freelancers for additional review
• Acquiring high-resolution image files, including organizing new photography
• Clearing copyright and permissions for all texts and images
• Liaising with external colleagues such as artists/studios/galleries/estates, contributing authors, book designers, co-publishers/distributors, copyright holders, image sources, lawyers, researchers, indexers, content readers, printers, and shipping/delivery companies
• Working closely with internal colleagues such as curators, registrars, the development department, the business office, and the director
• Securing copyright for books and registering them with the Library of Congress
• Establishing a budget and timeline for each publication
The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Museum does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, age, or genetics in employment, admission, access, programs or activities.