The Human Voice and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
- Friday March 26, 2021 4:30 PM
- Friday March 26, 2021 7:30 PM
- Saturday March 27, 2021 5:00 PM
- Sunday March 28, 2021 12:00 PM
- Sunday March 28, 2021 3:00 PM
The Human Voice
Pedro Almodóvar’s English-language debut is a short film adaptation of the Jean Cocteau stage play of the same name, but Almodóvar’s sensory filmmaking and Tilda Swinton’s bracing lead performance make the 30-minute short feel as emotionally fulfilling as any feature film.
English; 30 minutes
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Newly remastered, this 1988 classic melds melodrama with screwball farce. The Academy Award–nominated black comedy was Pedro Almodóvar’s international breakthrough and secured his place at the vanguard of modern Spanish cinema. Continuing the auteur’s exploration of the female psyche, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown tells the story of Pepa—played by the director’s frequent collaborator Carmen Maura—who resolves to kill herself with a batch of sleeping-pill-laced gazpacho after her lover leaves her. Fortunately, she is interrupted by a deliciously chaotic series of events.
Spanish with English subtitles; 88 minutes
Magnolia at the Modern is an ongoing series featuring critically acclaimed films. Tickets are $10; $8 for Modern members; $7 for Reel People. The Sunday noon showtime is half price. Advance sales begin two hours prior to each show. Click here for information about the special benefits of joining Reel People, a membership add-on for film enthusiasts.
Know Before You Go
• Masks or face coverings are required inside the Modern and must be worn at all times in the auditorium during the screening. No exceptions.
• Seats in the auditorium will be spaced to maintain social distancing for the safety of you and the other patrons.
Please leave exactly 3 seats between parties.
• Please do not come into the building if you are experiencing any symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as cough, shortness of breath, fever, or if you are experiencing a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask.
• Please practice social distancing when you are in the museum and auditorium and follow any instructions from museum staff. Entering and exiting will be controlled.
• Please take advantage of the wall-mounted touchless hand sanitizer dispensers located in all restrooms and the freestanding dispensers located throughout the building.
• No food or drink is allowed in the auditorium.
• Café Modern is temporarily closed.