- Friday November 20, 2020 4:30 PM
- Friday November 20, 2020 7:30 PM
- Saturday November 21, 2020 5:00 PM
- Sunday November 22, 2020 12:00 PM
- Sunday November 22, 2020 3:00 PM
“The film is a masterpiece, . . . see it any way you can.” Bilge Ebiri, New York Magazine. Winner of the Platform Prize at the Toronto International Film Festival and adapted from a 1909 novel by Jack London—yet set in a provocatively unspecified moment in Italy’s history—Martin Eden is a passionate and enthralling narrative fresco in the tradition of the great Italian classics. Martin (played by Luca Marinelli, who won the award for Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival for his performance) is a self-taught proletarian with artistic aspirations who hopes that his dreams of becoming a writer will help him rise above his station and marry a wealthy young university student (Jessica Cressy).
129 minutes; Italian with English subtitles
Magnolia at the Modern is an ongoing series featuring critically acclaimed films. Tickets are $10; $8 for Modern members; $7 for Reel People. The Sunday noon showtime is half price. Advance sales begin two hours prior to each show. Click here for information about the special benefits of joining Reel People, a membership add-on for film enthusiasts.
Know Before You Go
• Masks or face coverings are required inside the Modern and must be worn at all times in the auditorium during the screening. No exceptions.
• Seats in the auditorium will be spaced to maintain social distancing for the safety of you and the other patrons.
Please leave exactly 3 seats between parties.
• Please do not come into the building if you are experiencing any symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as cough, shortness of breath, fever, or if you are experiencing a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask.
• Please practice social distancing when you are in the museum and auditorium and follow any instructions from museum staff. Entering and exiting will be controlled.
• Please take advantage of the wall-mounted touchless hand sanitizer dispensers located in all restrooms and the freestanding dispensers located throughout the building.
• No food or drink is allowed in the auditorium.
• Café Modern is temporarily closed.