Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Friday March 13, 2020 3:45 PM
- Friday March 13, 2020 6:00 PM
- Friday March 13, 2020 8:15 PM
- Saturday March 14, 2020 5:00 PM
- Sunday March 15, 2020 11:45 AM
- Sunday March 15, 2020 2:00 PM
- Sunday March 15, 2020 4:15 PM
“[Director] Céline Sciamma's work with the actors here reflects an inspired effort - going far beyond costume and décor - to evoke the inner life of the historical period.”Richard Brody, New Yorker.
France, 1770. Marianne, a painter, is commissioned to do the wedding portrait of a young woman who has just left the convent. She is a reluctant bride-to-be and Marianne must paint her without her knowing. She observes her subject by day to paint her secretly. Céline Sciamma received the award for Best Screenplay at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.
R; 119 minutes; French with English subtitles
Magnolia at the Modern is an ongoing series featuring critically acclaimed films. Tickets are $10; $8 for Modern members; $7 for Reel People. The Sunday noon show time is half price. Advance sales begin two hours prior to each show.